Tuesday, August 21, 2012

SAH Mom With a Passion for Weaponry

I was maybe 14 or 15 when I shot my first gun. In some eyes that's young and in some eyes I was a bit "long in the tooth" for my first shot.

Wait, wait, wait... I've gotten ahead of myself. Perhaps I should start with my name, no?

My name is Maggi, or as you'll come to know me, Le Femme. I am a stay at home/work from home mama of 2 beautiful wee ones. Our 3 year old daughter, Olivia (or as she's better known, Livy Doodle) is a pistol (heh heh!) and we wouldn't have it other way; and our 11 month old son, Tyler a.k.a. Baby Man, is a tank. Petite, but with the force of a Mack Truck.

So, as I was saying, I was around 14 or 15 when I fired my first gun. It was my dad's Sig P230 .380 ACP.
[PAUSE FOR EDUCATION]

Because there will be times when people will just rattle off quick specs of their weaponry and you may likely feel too embarassed or shy (or they're just too over-excited about their gun to stop so you can ask them a question) to ask them what the heck they're talking about, here is a comparison of some the more common rounds.

What is not listed here is a .38 Special (which is slight thinner but taller than the .45 ACP),  the .40 SW (which is ever so slightly thinner than the .45 ACP but a bit shorter), and the .22 LR (which is well.....tiny). ***Please ignore the portion of this diagram that says "actual size", those are NOT the acutal size of any of those rounds, they are merely a means of showing a comparison*** 


{OKAY, BACK TO THE STORY]
It was love at first shot. My dad had been shooting competitively most of his life. I grew up oogling at the many marksmanship trophys that were sprawled around his basement. Not in any particular order or in cases, typical Dad. Just strewn about.

Why my dad waited so long to introduce me to the wonderful world of firearms, I'll never know, but I suppose the good thing is that he did at all! After that, there wasn't a weekend visit that didn't involve at least one day at the range. But, I'll get into more detail about a day at the range with the Old Man in another post.

My other hobbies include tearing up the slopes on my snowboard, baking delicious goodies for my loved ones, trying out new recipes on my guinea pigs (kids & other half), and reading - I LOVE to read - mostly mindless mysteries/fiction. Patterson, Koontz, that sort of thing.

All in all, I'm just your average girl who happens to be a snowboarding, baking, cooking, cleaning, shopping and SHOOTING mom of 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment